The Mystery of Jesus Breaks Forth into the World (John 5:21-23)
by Pastor Gene
5:21 “For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.”
Questions to consider about John 5:21-23:
- What is SO remarkable about Jesus’ testimony in John 5:21?
- How do you process the “whom He will” statement (5:21)?
- Consider John 5:22 in light of Psalm 7:11, 50:6, 75:7 and Isaiah 33:22. What conclusion do these verses lead us to?
- Consider 5:22 in light of Revelation 22:12-13 (the last chapter of the Bible). Consider each individual phrase of 22:12-13. What do they tell us about Jesus? How do they relate to 5:22?
- How would the Pharisees have heard 5:23? What is ‘honor’ here? How is this a terrible warning to those who were accusing Jesus of blasphemy? Do you see a ‘divine reversal’ here?
- Compare John 5:23 with Jesus’ prayer in John 17:5. Thoughts?
- The “all” in 5:23 indicates a universal claim. Can you think of other places in Scripture where “all” people will honor Jesus?
- How would the Pharisees see Jesus words in 5:23 as a violation of the First Commandment (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy
- Compare John 5:23 with Isaiah 42:8, 48:11 and Philippians 2:10-11. What do these verses tell us about Jesus?
- What are some ways that believers honor or dishonor God?
- What is Paul getting at in 2 Corinthians 1:18-20? What is he saying about how believers can glorify God?
- How is Abraham an example of this in Romans 4:1-21?
- 1 Peter 4:10-11 considers another way in which believers glorify God. What is it?
- What do you think the Lord wants us to take away from John 5:21-23? How might we challenge ourselves to become more pleasing to the Lord by considering them?
November 13, 2022
November 06, 2022
October 30, 2022