Imitating Jesus in “Smaller Ways”
by Pastor Gene
Christian author Kelly Balarie posted an interesting blog about imitating Christ that I wanted to share with you. I haven’t read any of her books, so I can’t recommend them personally.
However, she is published by a very reputable Christian book house (Baker), which has taken far too much of my money over the years!
That said, she writes, “When I think of imitating Christ … I consider how to break it up in smaller ways … Small things – I can do.” She then goes on to suggest 20 ways that we can imitate Christ in our daily lives.
They were too cool not to repost, so here they are. I find some of these more compelling than others. See what you think.
- Ask. “Why are you terrified?” (Matthew 8:26).
- Wait “Now Jesus Himself was about thirty years old when He began His ministry” (Luke 3:23).
- Sit down. “That day Jesus went out of the house and was sitting by the sea” (Matthew 13:1). “When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him” (Matthew 5:1).
- Pray. “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray and spent the night praying to God” (Luke 6:12).
- Praise “At that time Jesus said, I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned and revealed them to little children” (Matthew 11:25).
- Go. “Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people” (Matthew 4:23).
- Be kind & forgiving. “Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you” (Ephesians 4:32).
- Be humble. “He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:7-8).
- Fight back. “Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only'” (Matthew 4:10).
- Seek [to be] holy. “As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior” (1 Peter 1:15).
- Expect suffering. “For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps” (1 Peter 2:21).
- Lay down love. “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us” (1 John 3:16).
- Know His words. “Whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected” (1 John 2:5).
- Fear not the poor, ugly, dirty or crazy types. “While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with Him and his disciples, for there were many who followed Him” (Mark 2:15).
- Be a uniter, not a divider. “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind” (1 Peter 3:8).
- Seize faith. “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not my will, but yours be done” (Luke 22:42).
- Fight flesh, surrender to Spirit. “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires” (Romans 13:14).
- Die to your needs live for others. “We are to walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma” (Eph. 5:2).
- Give what people don’t deserve. “Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 22:34).
- Know where you are going. “For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day” (John 6:40). “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory” (1 Peter 5:4).
To consider …
- Which of these resonates with you? Which did not? Why?
- Did any of these point up a weakness in your own spiritual life? How can you make progress in that area?
- Which of these do you do well, are a part of your normal walk with Jesus.
- Are there any of these that you need to talk with Jesus about?
May 22, 2022
May 15, 2022
May 03, 2022