Harvest Talk for Harvest’s People
by Pastor Gene
- In John 4:35-36 Jesus said, “Look! I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. Already the one who reaps is receiving wages and gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together.”
- What is the first thing Jesus asks us to do here?
- What does He hope His disciples will “see”?
- Who is the “sower” here? The “reaper”?
- What are the wages Jesus is speaking about?
- What does He mean by the phrase ‘eternal life’?
- What is the source of the sower and reaper’s joy?
- Is there something to the fact that they “rejoice together”?
- In Matthew 9:37-38, Jesus told His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore, pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
- Is it important that Jesus said this to His “disciples”?
- What is the “harvest” Jesus called “plentiful” in His day? Is it still?
- Who are the “laborers” of whom Jesus speaks? Why were they “few” in His day? Are they still? Why is that?
- What does Jesus ask His followers to do in this passage?
- To whom does this “harvest” belong?
- In John 9:4, Jesus said, “We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work.”
- What’s the significance of the plural word “we”? To whom does it refer?
- What about the word “must”? What does it indicate?
- When Jesus speaks of “the works of him who sent me, what does He mean?
- What does Jesus mean by the words “day” and “night” here? Has the “night” already come?
- Why will no one be able to “work” when this “night” comes?
November 26, 2023
November 12, 2023