John 7:37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.”
by Pastor Gene
- We said that John 4:7-42 provides the background to this remarkable event in John 7:37-39. Revisit that passage again. What jumps out at you from this story? What is the Living Water Jesus is promising? What must this woman do to get it? Why does Jesus point out her ‘many husbands’? What are the two things she must come to know before asking for a drink of this Living Water (4:10)? What does Jesus mean by promising that those who drink will “never be thirsty again” (4:14a)? What does He mean that this Water “will become … a spring of water welling up to eternal life” in the one who drinks it (4:14b)? What is eternal life, anyway?
- Our verse tells us that Jesus “cried out.” The Greek word here is a very emotive word and indicates a solemn declaration – even a shout! Why is Jesus so moved here? What has Him bothered? The use of this word is similar to the ‘double amen’ that we’ve seen many times before. Do you remember what this means?
- Why does Jesus use the word “thirsts” here? Beyond its connection with Water, what image does it conjure up in you?
- In Hosea 6:3 (NKJV) we read, “Let us know, let us pursue the knowledge of the LORD. His going forth is established as the morning; He will come to us like the rain, Like the latter and former rain to the earth.” What is the prophet getting at here? What is the “former” and the “latter” rain? What do they mean literally? Prophetically? What does “He will come to us the like the rain … latter and former” mean?
- According to Joel 2:28, there is a day coming when God will “pour out” His “Spirit on all flesh”? Peter quoted this passage on Pentecost (Acts 2:17). Why? Beside this, Peter also quoted Joel 2:30-31 (Acts 2:19-20). Why do you think he did?
- The ‘pouring out’ of the Spirit is awesome indeed. But the Spirit is not the only thing God promises to ‘pour out’ in the last days. Anything come to mind?
November 26, 2023
November 12, 2023