by Pastor Gene
6:41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me— 46 not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father.”
- What does it mean to grumble? (Look up the dictionary meaning of the word.) Are you a grumbler?
- In Numbers 11:4-10, what were the children of Israel grumbling about?
- There is a change that occurs in 6:41; can you spot it? (Compare this verse with 6:22 & 6:24.) This change continues for the rest of the ‘Bread of Life’ sermon (6:52). What might this indicate?
- Why do the people doubt Jesus’ claim of heavenly origin (6:42)?
- What does Jesus mean by saying, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him” (John 6:44a)? Does He draw all or some?
- Some have tried to connect Jesus words here (“draw”) with Jesus’ words in John 12:32? Are they the same – if so, how? How are they different? In each case, (1) who is doing the drawing and (2) what are they being drawn to?
- In 6:44b, Jesus adds, “And I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:43-44). Who is He promising to raise up?
- In 6:45, Jesus loosely quotes Isaiah 54:13 but with a difference. What is the difference? Why the change? What does Jesus mean by saying, “they will all be taught by God”? Who are “they”?
- Who are those who have “heard and learned from the Father”? How does a person come to hear? See Matthew 13:11, 16-17, also look at Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22 & 13:9.
- In 6:46, Jesus adds what seems to be a warning to His statement. What might He be warning against?
May 22, 2022
May 15, 2022
May 03, 2022